Ladybird's Flight: To take a day off from your life

Sunday 9 April 2017

To take a day off from your life

I have been reading the book I don't have time: 15-minute ways to shape a life you love by Emma Grey and Audrey Thomas. And yesterday I finally did Experiment 1: Excuse yourself from your life for a day.

It was the perfect day to take out for myself. My son was at work and my husband was still away on a business trip. I still had our dog child but that was okay.

So first order of the day I made myself a breakfast of bacon and eggs followed by a very very long shower (thank goodness we don't run out of hot water...besides my husband is away so I used his whole day's allotment of hot water in one shower).

I decided that part of my day would involve baking something. Well cheats baking. In our cupboard I have had a Gluten Free Betty Crocker Brownie mix for over a month. I hadn't cooked it earlier because I needed to buy a new square baking tin (my previous one was retired when I moved house last year). I'm pleased that I did a quick and easy recipe so I didn't have to clean up the kitchen afterwards. I have to say that they did taste a little different than normal because they were G.F. but the chocolate hit the spot. 
Mmm chocolate must surely be compulsory on a day for yourself.


 

The next thing I wanted to do was enjoy the beautiful Canberra autumn day that presented itself. The sky was a little overcast but mostly sunny with a slight breeze in the air. I moved the furniture on the balcony to a position that I could fully appreciate the fine weather. I then treated myself by using my Royal Albert April tea cup, saucer and cake plate and my Duchess Tea Pot, because I deserve it. I then made myself a wonderful pot of Special Earl Grey tea with real tea leaves. 



I know that above there is a photo that includes Jay our dog and that I said that I couldn't see me blogging about him unless he was included in my work for some reason. Well here is Jay!

On my 11th floor balcony I had time to enjoy;
  • the book I am reading
  • and to listen to Janet Seidel's album Doris and Me
Following this my sister popped in for some tea/coffee, to eat the brownies and to have a chat.

The day was getting on but as I had no schedule, other than dog walks, I thought I'd go and get lunch at Parlour but it was closed :( Instead I took the opportunity to introduce myself to the new exhibition artist, Luke Chiswell. What a lovely young man. We talked about his art and the influences upon his art. 

This was followed by a late lunch 1:30pm at Twenty One Cafe where I had a scrummy lunch of chicken schnitzel. Another photo of things I don't usually blog about...a photo of my restaurant food.



I had a late afternoon walk around NewActon with Jay enjoying the last hour or two of the warm autumn weather. I took a few photos of the autumn colours and collected leaves for an artwork I am thinking about creating.


 

As it is a day just for me I had a short afternoon nap. In the early evening I played the piano badly including the songs; We've Got TonightGroovy Kind of LoveTake My Breath Away andBeauty and the Beast


At sunset I took some photos of the view from our balcony.
 
To finish off the day I watched the movie The Theory of Everything, the one about Stephen Hawking. All I can say is wow!

It was fabulous, freeing, relaxing day.

2 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful to see one of the experiments in our book in action!

    So glad you enjoyed every moment of your 'day away', Leanne. :-)

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma for inspiring such a wonderful day.

      I look forward to completing other experiments.

      Your book has come at the right time where I am taking 12 months off to explore my creativity and interests. I have been trying to do this for 15 years now. I am putting me first.

      Additionally thank you for being the first person to leave a comment on my blog.


      Cheers Leanne

      Delete